The legal detail
Website Terms and Conditions of Use
This website is owned and maintained by NatWest Group ("us”, “we" or “our”). The services and information on this website ("Materials") are provided for Clients or prospective Clients of National Westminster Bank Plc (“NatWest”), NatWest Markets Plc (“NatWest Markets”), NatWest Markets N.V. (“NatWest Markets N.V.”) and NatWest Markets Securities Inc. ("NatWest Markets Securities") including any associated branches.
The use of this website is subject to the following terms and conditions that you should read carefully. By using this website you agree to be legally bound by these terms and conditions. If you do not accept these terms and conditions, please do not use this website. In addition, all of our products and services have their own terms and conditions. If you are considering applying for any of our products or services, please read these first. We make these available by at least one of the following methods: (i) by clicking the link on the relevant pages of this website; (ii) in our branches; or (iii) on request from us. These should be read together with the following website terms and conditions. However, if there is any conflict between the two, the terms and conditions for the particular product or service will prevail.
United States (“U.S.”) residents
Use of website
1. The information provided on this website or in any communication containing a link to this website is for personal use and information purposes only and is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person or entity in any jurisdiction in any country where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation or which would subject any member of our group to any registration requirement within such jurisdiction or country. Where any opinions are expressed on this website, they are provided by us for personal use and for information purposes only.
2. Unless otherwise stated on the product pages, the services and products on this website are intended for use by residents of the United Kingdom (“UK”) only and are not aimed at or intended for use by residents of any other jurisdiction.
3. Where any information on this website constitutes a financial promotion for the purposes of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (“FSMA 2000”), it is issued and approved by us for distribution and use in the UK only.
4. This website is designed to be accessed through its principal home pages and such other pages as we may decide. If you access the website through individual pages directly, which are not designed for this purpose, you may not see important information that is relevant to information on this website. You will be referred on certain site pages to read "Legal Information". This will contain important details and/or relevant legal or regulatory information and should be read in conjunction with the relevant website pages.
5. You must not use this website (or permit or procure other to use it) as follows:
i. for any unlawful, improper or illegal purpose or activity;
ii. to violate copyright, trademark, proprietary or other intellectual property rights of any member of our group or any third party;
iii. to damage the name or reputation of any member of our group or any third party;
iv. to impersonate any of our employees or other person or use a false name while using this website or implying an association with us;
v. to generate excessive amounts of internet traffic, to interfere with our network or others’ use of this website or to engage in activities designed to or having the effect of degrading or denying service to users of this website or others;
vi. to introduce a computer virus, 'trojan horse', worm, logic bomb, back door, malware or similar item onto the internet or into this website; or
vii. to transmit confidential or proprietary information, except your own and then solely at your own risk.
Exclusion of liability
6. These 'Exclusion of Liability' provisions should be read carefully as they exclude or limit our legal liability in connection with your use of this website. Nothing in these terms and conditions and, in particular, within the 'Exclusion of Liability' clauses shall attempt to exclude liability that is not permissible to exclude under applicable law, including without limitation, for death or personal injury, or for fraudulent misrepresentation.
7. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude or limit or restrict our duties and liabilities to you under the FSMA 2000, or any conduct of business rules which we are bound to comply with.
8. While we have taken all reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the content of the website, we exclude any warranties, undertakings or representations (either express or implied) to the full extent permitted under applicable law, that the website or (including without limitation) all or any part of the content or materials, accuracy, availability or completeness of the content of the website or any part of the content or materials, are appropriate or available for use either in the UK or in other jurisdictions. If you use this website from other jurisdictions, you are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws.
9. We accept no liability however caused (including without limitation) in either contract, tort, negligence, statutory duty or otherwise (to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law) arising out of the use of or access to this website (which includes without limitation) any errors or omissions contained in this website or if the website is unavailable and we shall not be liable for any direct or indirect:
- economic losses (including without limitation loss of revenues, data, profits, contracts, use, opportunity, business or anticipated savings);
- loss of goodwill or reputation; or
- special or incidental loss or damage and/or loss or damage which was not reasonably foreseeable,
suffered or incurred arising out of or in connection with your use of this website and/or these terms and conditions.
10. Access to and use of this website is at your own risk and we do not warrant that the use of this website or any material downloaded from it will not cause damage to any property, or otherwise minimise or eliminate the inherent risks of the internet including but not limited to loss of data, computer virus infection, spyware, malicious software, trojans and worms. Also, we accept no liability in respect of losses or damages arising out of changes made to the content of this website by unauthorised third parties.
11. To provide increased value to users of this website, we may provide links to other websites or resources (that are not part of our group) for you to access at your sole discretion. You acknowledge and agree that, as you have chosen to enter the linked website, we are not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and that we do not review or endorse and shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for
i. the privacy practices of such websites;
ii. the content of such websites, including (without limitation) any advertising, content, products, goods or other materials or services on or available from such websites or resources or;
iii. the use that others make of these websites or resources, nor for any damage, loss or offence caused or alleged to be caused by, or in connection with, the use of or reliance on any such advertising, content, products, goods or other materials or services available on such external websites or resources.
12. © 2021 National Westminster Bank plc. All rights, save as expressly granted, are reserved. Reproduction in any form of any part of the contents of this website without our prior written consent is prohibited unless for personal use only.
13. This website contains numerous trade marks belonging to our group. These trade marks include, but are not limited to, the NatWest logo, NatWest Markets and NatWest. If you are in doubt as to whether an item is a trade mark of NatWest, NatWest Markets or a member of our group, please contact us for clarification at the registered office address below.
14. The contents of this website do not purport to provide any financial, investment or professional advice and nothing on the pages of this website shall be deemed to constitute the offer or provision of financial, investment or other professional advice in any way. In particular, you should obtain advice from a qualified financial adviser before making any investment decision.
Changes to this website
15. The contents of this website, including these terms and conditions of use, are subject to change by us without notification. Additionally, we shall not be obliged to remove any outdated information from the website or to expressly mark it as being outdated.
17. In order to maintain the security of its systems, protect its staff and detect fraud and other crimes, we reserve the right to monitor all internet communications, including web and email traffic, into and out of its domains. Monitoring includes (without limitation) checks for viruses and other malignant code, criminal activity, and use or content that is unauthorised or unlawful or material that may cause offence in any way.
18. In Australia, NatWest Markets Plc is exempt from the requirement to hold an Australian financial services licence in respect of the financial services it provides, and it is authorised by the Prudential Regulatory Authority (“PRA”) and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”) and PRA under UK laws, which differ from Australian laws. Persons accessing this website and the Materials from Australia are restricted to ‘Wholesale Clients’ as defined under the Australian Corporations Act 2001 (“ACA 2001”) and should note that their access to, and use of, the information, services and products on this website may be prohibited under the ACA 2001. Nothing contained in this website should be construed as an authorisation to access or use the information, services or products on this website in Australia where such prohibitions apply.
United States (“U.S.”) residents
19. This website and its respective contents do not constitute an offer or invitation to purchase or subscribe for any securities or a solicitation of any offer to sell any securities or any other banking product or service to U.S. persons. Any brokerage and investment advisory services described herein are not intended for U.S. persons. U.S. persons should refer to www.natwest.us for information on products and services available to them.
Other important information
20. The information, and any opinion contained in this website does not constitute a public offer under any applicable legislation or an offer to sell or solicitation or an offer to buy any securities or financial instruments or any advice or recommendation with respect to such securities or other financial instruments.
21. This website contains certain 'forward looking statements' as that term is defined in the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, such as statements that include the words 'expect', 'estimate', 'project', 'anticipate', 'should', 'intend', 'plan', 'probability'', 'risk', 'Value-at-Risk', 'target', 'goal', 'objective', 'will', 'endeavour', 'outlook', 'optimistic', 'prospects' and similar expressions or variations on such expressions.
22. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those estimated by the forward-looking statements contained in this website include, but are not limited to, general economic conditions in the UK and in other countries in we have significant business activities or investments, including in the U.S.; the monetary and interest rate policies of the Bank of England, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and other G-7 central banks; unanticipated turbulence in interest rates, foreign currency exchange rates, commodity prices or equity prices; changes in UK or foreign laws, regulations or taxes; changes in competition or pricing environments; natural and other disasters; the inability to hedge certain risks economically; the adequacy of loss reserves; acquisitions or restructurings; technology changes; changes in consumer spending and saving habits; and our success in managing the risks involved in the foregoing. The risks and uncertainties are discussed in our group's Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) filings. The forward-looking statements contained in this website speak only as of the date of the related document, and we do not undertake to update any forward-looking statement to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof.
23. The information contained in this website is subject to, and must be read in conjunction with, all other publicly available information, including, where relevant any fuller disclosure document published by us. Any person at any time acquiring the securities must do so only on the basis of such person's own judgement as to the merits of the suitability of the securities for its purposes and only on such information as is contained such in public information having taken all such professional or other advice as it considers necessary or appropriate in the circumstances and not in reliance on the information contained herein. The information is not tailored for any particular investor and does not constitute individual investment advice.
24. Information in this website relating to the price at which investments have been bought or sold in the past or the yield on investments cannot be relied upon as a guide to future performance.
25. The financial information published or to be published on this website or made available or to be made available through this website, such as annual reports and quarterly reports, is compiled and placed on this website with the greatest of care. Nevertheless, only the original hard-copy English versions of this information shall be regarded as the original version. No rights may be derived from financial information published or to be published on this website, or available or to be made available through this website, including with regard to its accuracy and completeness.
26. In addition, it should be noted that our annual report and accounts which are published on this website or made available through this website, may be subject to adoption by our Annual General Meeting of Shareholders for the year to which the report and accounts relate.
27. National Westminster Bank Plc. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Number 929027), Registered Office: 250 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 4AA. Authorised by the PRA and regulated by the FCA and the PRA. NatWest is entered on the Financial Services Register and its Register number is 121878. The Financial Services Register can be accessed at www.fca.org.uk/register. NatWest’s registered VAT number is GB 243852752.
28. NatWest Markets Plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312 with limited liability. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB. Authorised by the PRA and regulated by the FCA and PRA. NatWest Markets Plc is entered in the FCA's Register and its Register number is 121882. The FCA's Register can be accessed at www.fca.org.uk/register/. NatWest Markets Plc's registered VAT number is GB 243852752. NatWest Markets Plc is also provisionally registered as a swap dealer with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
29. Persons dealing with any member of our group outside the UK are not covered by the rules and regulations applicable for the protection of investors in the UK.
30. NatWest Markets N.V. is authorised and regulated by De Nederlandsche Bank and the Autoriteit Financiële Markten. It has its seat at Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and is registered in the Commercial Register under number 33002587. Agency agreements exist between different members of our group. NatWest Markets N.V. Branch Reg No. in England BR001029. Registered Office: Claude Debussylaan 94, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. NatWest Markets Plc is in certain jurisdictions an authorised agent of NatWest Markets N.V and NatWest Markets N.V is in certain jurisdictions an authorised agent of NatWest Markets Plc.
31. NatWest Markets Plc, Singapore branch (UEN: S85FC3595J) is authorised and regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
32. In Hong Kong, NatWest Markets Plc is authorised and regulated by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority and the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission.
33. In Japan, NatWest Markets Securities Japan Limited (Kanto Financial Bureau (Kin-sho) No. 202) is authorised and regulated by the Japan Financial Services Agency.
34. Securities business in the U.S. is conducted through NatWest Markets Securities Inc. a FINRA registered broker-dealer (www.finra.org), a SIPC member (www.sipc.org) and a wholly owned indirect subsidiary of NatWest Markets Plc. NatWest Markets Securities Inc. is authorised by NatWest Markets Plc to act as its agent for certain kinds of its activities.
35. NatWest adheres to the Standards of Lending Practice which are monitored and enforced by the Lending Standards Board. Find out more at www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk.
36. If you are not satisfied with any our group’s product or service, we have a complaint handling procedure that you can use to resolve such matters. NatWest and NatWest Markets are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (“the FOS”). If you are still not satisfied after following our group’s procedures, you can ask the FOS to review the complaint. You can find out more about the FOS in a leaflet available from any branch or by telephoning NatWest or NatWest Markets. Alternatively, you can write to: Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR or telephone 020 7964 1000.
37. In the event that any provision of these terms and conditions of use and access of this website is held unenforceable, it will not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions and will be replaced by an enforceable provision that comes the closest to the intention underlying the unenforceable provision.
38. The terms and conditions of use of this website are governed by the laws of England and Wales and any dispute regarding this website shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Financial Services Compensation Scheme
National Westminster Bank plc and NatWest Markets Plc are members of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The Scheme can pay compensation to customers if they are eligible and a regulated firm is unable to pay claims against it, usually if the firm stops trading or is insolvent. Compensation limits apply depending on the type of claim:
Persons dealing with any member of the NatWest Group outside the UK should be aware that they may not be covered by the rules and regulations applicable for the protection of investors in the UK and should seek advice in the relevant territory.
- Deposits - for money held in a bank or building society in the UK, the scheme will cover up to £85,000. Deposits in all currencies are treated the same. Most individuals, businesses and corporations can claim back up to £85,000 (or £85,000 for each eligible account holder if it’s a joint account).
- Investments - maximum £85,000, i.e. 100% of first £85,000 per person.
- Mortgage advice and arranging (for business conducted on or after 31 October 2004) - maximum £50,000, i.e. 100% of first £50,000 per person.
- Long-term insurance (e.g. pensions): maximum 90% of the claim without any upper limit.
- Life assurance: The Compensation scheme may cover up to 100% of the total amount of your claim.
- Compulsory insurance (e.g. third party motor): 100% of the claim, without any upper limit.
- Non-compulsory insurance (e.g. home and general): maximum 90% of the claim, without any upper limit.
- General insurance advice and arranging: (for business conducted on or after 14 January 2005). Maximum 90% of the claim, without any upper limit.
For further information about the compensation provided by the FSCS please refer to the FSCS website at www.fscs.org.uk