Fee-free card payments abroad this summer
This summer, to help you get a well-deserved break, we won’t charge you any foreign transaction fees (also known as non-sterling transaction fees) when you spend abroad with a NatWest debit or credit card that’s included in our offer.
Not valid for ATM withdrawals. Local fees may apply. For NatWest credit cards, the offer starts on 24th June at 00:00 local time and ends on 2nd September 2022 at 23.59 local time. For NatWest debit cards, it starts on 25th June at 00:00 local time and ends on 2nd September at 23.59 local time. Exclusions to some NatWest cards and payment types apply. Check before you travel.
Can I use my card abroad?
Pay with your NatWest card and you won’t need to risk carrying loads of foreign currency, or get stressed about losing it. Here are our tips for worry-free spending abroad. Take our top tips away with you.
Pay by card in the local currency
Whether you’re paying in a restaurant, bar or local souvenir shop, don’t agree to the transaction being in sterling. It could cost you more than paying in the local currency. Point-of-sale conversion rates are set by the retail outlet and they’re usually higher.
We’ve got your back with a chargeback
If something goes wrong and you’ve used your NatWest debit or credit card, we could help you get your money back through a chargeback. Chat to Cora in the mobile app, online banking or through our website about ‘chargeback’ for more information.
Lost card? App to the rescue.
It’s a horrible feeling when you think you’ve lost your card or it’s been stolen. Our Mobile App lets you freeze it for as long as you need to look for it. If your card still doesn’t turn up, there’s no need to worry. Just keep it frozen, contact us and we’ll sort everything out.
Don't forget to register your card for travelYou can register your card in the app. Just give us 24 hours notice and you’re good to go.
Paying with your NatWest card keeps things simple. You could even use contactless like you do at home. Look for the usual symbol and a simple tap works in any lingo.
Register your card in the mobile app before you go
Enter the details of your trip in 'Home> Choose your account> Manage my card & Google Pay> Going Abroad> Register card' section of the mobile app.
- App available to customers aged 11+ with compatible iOS and Android devices and a UK or international mobile number in specific countries.
- You can register one trip at a time. It can include up to seven countries and last 90 days. Register each country you are visiting. The marker will apply to all debit cards in your name. Joint account holders should register separately.
Card Currency Calculator
Try our card currency calculator and you could get a clearer picture of your conversion rates and charges while using your debit, credit or savings card abroad.
Want permanent fee-free foreign purchases?
Some NatWest accounts provide the benefit of no non-sterling transaction fees on debit card purchases abroad. If you fancy that, our Black, Reward Black, Reward Silver or Reward Platinum accounts page has all the details.
If you're a Black or Reward Black customer, check out the Premier current accounts page for more information.
Keep saying ‘adios’ to foreign transaction fees
Want to continue saving on foreign card payments after our offer ends? Take out The NatWest Credit Card and you won’t pay foreign transaction fees when you’re buying things abroad.
Representative 12.9% APR (variable)
To apply, you must hold a current account, savings account, credit card or mortgage with NatWest, be a UK resident, aged 18+ and earning at least £10K per year
- Using cash abroad. Carrying a bit of cash can be quite handy for taxi fares or markets. Try not to take more than you’ll need and keep it safe when you’re out and about. You can split it across different places like your wallet, a secure bag and a money belt.
- Order before you go. Want to take a bit of foreign cash with you? Exchange rates are usually more expensive at the airport. Try to order your currency in advance. Getting money from a cash machine abroad can come at a cost. You’ll most likely be charged a non-sterling transaction fee for each withdrawal.
- Save £5 on travel money orders. From 30th June to 2nd September 2022, we won’t be charging the usual delivery fee of £5 for travel money orders under £500. Order your foreign currency between those dates and we’ll send it to you for free.
Download the app
- On your mobile or tablet, go to the App Store if using Apple or Google Play if using Android
- Search for 'NatWest Mobile Banking'
- Tap to download the app