Working under pressure
We all feel like we're under pressure at times, but it's important to be able to handle it and not get too stressed out. No matter who you are, it's impossible to be perfect all the time. Think about a time when you felt under pressure. How did you respond? Were you calm or panicky? Did it bring out the best in you or did it stop you in your tracks?
Let's look at what can be a commonly stressful situation – interviews!
Chances are you'll be asked how you handle pressure at your interview. The ability to work under pressure is an important quality and a necessary one. Things happen all the time at work that you weren't expecting, and a lot of the time it's things you can't control. What employers are interested in is how you deal with them, and how you learn from them.
How to handle that tricky interview question.
Our top tips for handling pressure
- Find time to think: Quick decisions aren't always the best decisions.
- Be organised: You'll feel less pressure if you're organised and prepared.
- Think positively: Negative thinking can knock your confidence.
- Ask for help if you need it: Don't be afraid to ask for some help to get things.
- Write things down: Putting things down on paper gets them out of your head.
- Stay focused: Don't let stress take over. You've got this!