On this page
Confirmation of Payee | NatWest Business
Confirmation of Payee (CoP) is a name checking service that checks the name of the account holder you intend to pay, along with their account details when making a new single sterling UK payment or a single CHAPS payment using Bankline.
The CoP check has been introduced to help reduce fraud and to give you more confidence when making payments.
How does it work?
Payments made to you
It’s important you give whoever is making a payment into your account, your business or trading name that’s registered on your account.
If your account name changes then don’t forget to let people know.
Payments you make
When you set up a new single sterling UK payment, or change an existing one, a CoP check will be made against the name on the account you want to pay by their bank.
The CoP check will generate one of four responses.
You must remember to:
- Contact the person or business you’re making the payment to, to check the name on their account
- If you’re paying a person, use their first and last name
- If you’re paying a business, use the business or trading name registered to their account
- When prompted to do so, please make sure you select the correct type of account for the person or business you are paying
Avoid scams and help reduce fraud
The CoP check can help you avoid making new single sterling UK payments or single CHAPS payments using Bankline to the wrong account, as well as supporting the fight against fraud and scams.
When checking the payment details, it’s important to contact the person or business on a number you trust.
- Never use the phone number from an email or text exchange which can be faked by the criminal to trick you into believing it’s genuine.
- Never be pressurised into continuing with the payment when the details don’t fully match or where the account can’t be checked
Visit our security centre to learn more about how to protect yourself from fraud.
New Confirmation of Payee Corporate Direct Access API
Our API has been developed with our corporate customers in mind, to do more than the core mandatory CoP service. It goes above and beyond what you can already access, and allows you to embed this service directly into your own systems.
This enables you to carry out bulk checks against outbound payee details, for payments made using BACS, CHAPs and Faster Payments - which could save you time, improve customer experience, reduce costs and help detect fraud.
For further information contact your usual Bank representative or find out more at our Bank of APIs.