Five fraudster tricks
Paul talked through five key tactics used by scammers:
- Context – such as the Covid or cost of living crisis
- Authority – they’ll say they’re from your bank, the police or similar organisation as, instinctively, we trust authority
- Urgency – they’ll apply pressure by saying you have to do something fast
- Scarcity – you may hear talk of a ‘limited time offer’ that’s ‘just for you'
- Emotion – feeding on how we feel when we see their message.
Your questions answered
This material is published by NatWest Group plc (“NatWest Group”), for information purposes only and should not be regarded as providing any specific advice. Recipients should make their own independent evaluation of this information and no action should be taken, solely relying on it. This material should not be reproduced or disclosed without our consent. It is not intended for distribution in any jurisdiction in which this would be prohibited. Whilst this information is believed to be reliable, it has not been independently verified by NatWest Group and NatWest Group makes no representation or warranty (express or implied) of any kind, as regards the accuracy or completeness of this information, nor does it accept any responsibility or liability for any loss or damage arising in any way from any use made of or reliance placed on, this information. Unless otherwise stated, any views, forecasts, or estimates are solely those of the NatWest Group Economics Department, as of this date and are subject to change without notice.