Dispute a transaction
Let us know about your dispute
On this page
Before you begin
You need to give the retailer a chance to put things right
We are unable to help unless you have tried this first. They’ll usually solve a dispute much quicker than we can - give them at least 14 days to resolve things for you.
Check that the payment isn’t still pending
Check your statement or mobile app to make sure the payment isn’t pending. It can take a few days to go out of your account. Remember, we can’t raise a dispute for you if the payment is still pending.
Gather the right info
There’s a simple form to complete. You’ll need the following: your account details, the company or retailer name you made the payment to, the amount and date of the payment.
Carefully read these steps to get started
1. Which card?
- If you used your Debit Card, move on to step 2.
- If you used your Credit Card, choose Get Started below.
2. Subscription or free trial?
- If you’re disputing a subscription or you’ve been charged after a free trial, move on to step 3.
- For all other disputes, choose Get Started below.
3. Got our app or digital banking?
- It’s quicker – we can pre-fill most of the info we need.
- Open your app or log on onto online banking, choose the payment, then select Get help with this transaction.
- Don't have the app or online banking? Choose Get Started below.
What happens after you raise a dispute claim?
We’ll take a closer look
We’ll do some checks first. Usually, we’ll then get in touch with Visa or MasterCard. The company or retailer will be given a chance to have their say.
We’ll send you an email with an update
We’ll try to do this within five working days. We might need more info from you, so if you don’t hear from us check your junk/spam folder.
We might be able to give you a temporary refund
It depends on the type of dispute. The company or retailer has a chance to disagree. If your dispute isn’t successful then we’ll let you know that the refund is being taken back.
We’ll let you know the outcome
We don’t make the final decisions on dispute claims (remember - MasterCard and Visa set the rules) but we’ll let you know the outcome as soon as we can. We try to get things sorted out within 60 days.